Friday, December 28, 2007

"For Relaxing Time, Make it Suntory Time"

Although the Japanese seem more advanced than Americans in many areas, they don't come close to Americans when it comes to the demand for modern convenience. For example, they do not generally use clothes driers, but rather prefer to hang their clothes on their balconies to dry. I've only seen one McDonald's, and that was in the touristy part of town. There are no take-out restaurants near us, and when you do eat in a restaurant, the meal will be served anywhere from 5 minutes to 60 minutes later. I think this easy-going way of life has more to do with the fact that we are not in Tokyo, but on a tropical island. This is akin to trying to understand New Yorkers by visiting Maui. I'm betting that all Japanese are not the same.

However, one thing they do love is easily accessible vending machines! And I mean, walk-out-your-front-door, stop-on-the-way-to-the-car accessible. I have no idea where this need for zesty beverages at every turn came from. You cannot walk down a residential road without seeing a Coca-Cola or Suntory Vending Machine. On the highways, cars can pull off to the side of the road to stop at a vending machine (on the left hand side, which is very disconcerting to me). I am not exaggerating, they are in the most random spots. The drinks, are of course, way more exciting than American vending machines (and more enticingly packaged). They offer iced coffee, hot coffee, apple tea, cream soda. Perhaps having a vending machine by your front door supplies a little extra income? If only I could figure out a way to hook up a Pinkberry frozen yogurt machine in my garage....





Check out the large wooden skunk...


And for those Bill Murray fans out there, who wanted to see if he was truly the face of Suntory Beverages, I'm sorry to disappoint....

No comments: