Monday, November 16, 2009

You can take the girl away from her laptop...

I wish I could figure out how to upload my photos from my camera to my blog. There are so many great visuals in this country! But alas, we must make do with with the written (typed) word. I should be more than happy - after all, I am blogging wirelessly from an iPod touch on which I just scandolously downloaded and watched the season finale of Mad Men this afternoon while the other volunteers were off chanting sacred mantras or some jazz. Shhhhh don't tell anyone. Sometimes a girl needs a little Don Draper escape every now and then. (I KNEW they'd bring Joanie back!!)

I walked down the main road today to buy some sweets - the road consists of two lanes with the occaisonal motorcycle or truck passing by and then a metal shack every 50 yards or so that sells something. Of course there are the cows and goats everwhere. And the children no older than three crossing the road as they please, not even flinching at the blaring honks of the trucks swerving to miss them. Is the US the only country on earth where kids get runover by cars or is this an old wives tale? In japan it's the same - kids seem impervious to the threat of traffic. Nor do their parents bat an eye.

Anyway, I brought my Hindi phrasebook with me and repeated the phrase over and over in my head - "I'd like to buy 8 sweets please". I delivered the translation to empty stares and they had to bring some guy over who knew a bit of English to figure out what I could POSSIBLY be saying as I pointed to the candy and held up 8 fingers. 

Defeated, but with candy in hand I got home and downloaded a Hindi Lesson podcast on to my iPod. And a "This American Life" podcast for later tonight. Steve Jobs, how do I love thee? let me count the ways...ek, do, teen, chaar, paanch...  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Enjoying your blog Jen but missed you for the season ending Mad Men episode. We were high-fiving each other at the end as the new crew started work in the hotel. Can't wait til next season. Anyway, have you tried looking for an internet cafe in order to upload pics from your SD card? Just a thought. Good luck with the language thing and keep up the posts.